Posts tagged Thief
– the town is underwhelming, consisting very small chunks repeatedly loading of narrow corridors
+ it was nice that they consistently had a silent solution unlike other games which force you into battles at least occasionally
– a lot of tiny loot, placed at random places, rings on the street and stuff like that
+, + still one can’t help but value a first person that actually encourages you to play nonviolently, down to the sad sound even should you just knock out a guard
+ potentially interesting universe
– but a bit too unidimensional, all at night, a certain monotony
– instead of a variety of luxurious houses and fascinating voyeuristic conversations they seem rather similar and the conversations are occasionally numerous, but rather one tracked
-, – way too much religion and supernatural in a game that should have been about interesting everyday life
– some very annoying sound bugs, on our ps3 it would just have unnatural breaks of silence
+ i found it interesting the conversations I heard through the windows of the houses
– rather difficult even on an easy difficulty level
– the environment navigation is very limited and arbitrary, more than once i got stuck because there was just one way to go and that was behind some boxes. Most are invisible walls even though at other times he climes like an acrobat, only to find out that sometimes some boxes you can go between.
– the story is rather shallow imho
+ surprisingly enough there were some horror sections, particularly an asylum one which was quite interesting in a scary way.
– the switch to third person for climbing some pipes not only breaks the 1st person immersion but also makes it obvious how unpolished it is in that field (compared to an Assassin’s Creed or something of that kind), both in the animations and in the freedom as once he does something acrobatic there it becomes even less understandable why at other times he can’t even cross a wooden fence or a some boxes.
+ A couple of particularly interesting level design ideas
+ some interesting action scenes. Despite not the best fit in a game about stealth they were surprisingly entertaining.
Overall: 0 [on a -5 to 5 scale]. For all it’s flaws one is critical exactly because it can/could be so much. A game with first person exploration of the world where you’re supposed to be quiet certainly has a strong thing going for it.
One of the most anticipated games to be reborn, Thief is at the horizons. I find it funny though with all these great worlds when they’re reborn without a number or more words so as somebody funnily said future historians are going to have to work hard to differentiate between the new Thief/Tomb Raider/… and the old ones :)) Still, it’s very exciting to have Garrett back.
+ very interesting artwork style
– I had expected to be honest a little more dialogues/choices in dialogues/that the journals be voice read
+ an amazing semi-historical trip to victorian England. Of course I think the industrial revolution far from being the horrible time often portrayed was actually a blessed time when people’s standards of living rose a lot, still, I’m sure it came with some hardships too, as all change does, and plus there have been plenty other historical moments when disease and social issues were troubles, so it’s really nice to see them brought to life
+ very nice paranormal elements
+ just superb visual styling, from the impossibly tall buildings capturing the architectural style but also stylizing it superbly to the almost comic book-ish character proportions that still manage to stay serious while having a LOT of character
+ I’m so very happy we finally have a worthy successor in the Thief series. I loved Thief 2’s atmosphere and this game manages to be it’s spiritual successor in every way, from the delights of sneakign to the very original steam-punk-ish world.
+ and if that wasn’t enough it also is worthy of the title of a follower in the proud Hitman heritage, with the choices, and the elegance with which you can do the killings, with a Deus Ex element, and best of all, this is all optional, actually the game quite encourages you to go the non-killing way (though it’s really hard at times)
+ and if that wasn’t enough more than once the game gave a strong Portal vibe, with it’s spatial puzzles
+ and if that wasn’t enough, possibly the biggest invention of the game, the short distance teleports totally redefine map navigation… this could be as big a leap forward in terrain navigation as Assassin’s Creed, … yep, yet another awesome series this game is worthy of saying it’s a spiritual descendant from!
+ it was actually super fun to hunt down for the runes/artifacts… in fact that was to me sometimes even a higher priority than the main story (and it’s great that the game let you free roam), which is (even to me) quite a big surprise as I normally actively dislike games with “collect 100 flags” type activities… however, they are much fewer, 1-5 per region, and EACH and every single one is superbly hidden and often quite a brean teaser to get though (for example there was one which after spending ten or more minutes circling the building in every which way I took another look through a keyhole and then the solution hit me :D
+ the fighting looks very good
+beautiful level design, so many options and delights
+ superb powers
– the story could have been a bit more subtle at points
+ however at other points the story was delightful, and at least a major veeery satisfying twist
+ at first I thought the game would be too short, however it impressed in that area too, being much richer in content than I expected from such an action game
+ some very nice choices
Well… overall, I think you can tell, this game VERY VERY impressed. It really made this Christmas holiday for me! Fantastic! 4-4.5 on a -5 to 5 scale!
A kleptomaniac game that encourages you to extinguish fires, even when they are inside big steamy robots :D
Usual rules: 3 tries per person, 2x multipliers for first timers. Winner gets to propose a theme/scene as well as 1 day extraordinary forum bragging rights. Outstanding orders: Tarpo x5, Jaco x30, player347 x3, Diana x5, Radu x38, VideoGamesAsArt x2 , thegazer x2, rsocu x3, Teofil S, Firefish x11. Awaiting scenes from you guys. Newcomers may ask for a freebie.
In case u missed yesterday’s answer & comments, all past ones are archived to the gameSketch category.