Posts tagged Out of this World
Haven’t really played much of the game but the landcape modification idea is very interesting technically and otherwise, plus my artistic hero Bruno Gentile has worked on it so i just MUST post it :D
PS: just found out as I was posting this that Eric Chahi, the brilliant mind behind the amazing Another World is behind this game!
Totally worth mentioning this one. I wish I could credit it to it's brilliant and knowledgeable creator, but all I found was a digg post. I'm amazed how it didn't only include big name ones, but some gems that I really love and are often forgotten. Where else do you even get to see Discworld, Little big adventure, Out of this World, Carmageddon, Monkey Island, Silent Hill, Soul Reaver…
- a brand new completelly original universe that stimulates the imagination and in which you can read into every detail and it opens itself more to you – checked!
- a complex story line, magically told in amazing design without even a word! And it’s even well justified: why would the aliens want to talk to you when you’re clearly just a slave to them, and your friend is an alien himself, one with which you slowly develop a bond despite the differences in language and background. – checked!
- story driven gameplay that is as varied as it it ingenious – checked!
- music with feeling (as little as those times allowed) – checked!
- interesting artwork – checked!
- branching options – checked! (granted, it’s not the story that branches but simply being less linear, even allowing you to mess up everything making it impossible to move on, but in a way that seemed okay and you had your savecodes)
- great cinematics – checked!
- varied and interesting ways to fail – checked! (I honestly wanted to ‘die’ each time I entered a new area just to see the great cinematics. Things like a closeup of your leg as a worm crawling on the floor produces a little sting and poisons you paralizingly, a man eating plant, the way the alien black feline tears you apart with it’s claws, … )