Posts tagged Alien: Isolation
+, +, + surprisingly long, the story just kept on giving, and even surprising turns… plus it had a special older charm, like a scifi movie/book from the 70s… somehow different than a modern one
– because of the long stealth sections the game would have needed many more dialogues or events that you could observe while hidden
+ good attention payed to lighting and atmospheric effects
– sometimes the hallways looked all the same
+ great attention to details in many places from interesting furniture to material effects
– but sometimes there were inconsistencies with some materials looking not worn but incredibly new/freshly painted in places you would have expected them a bit more worn
– the main character had a delayed/weird emotional response, sometimes acting incredibly calm in the face of shocking events, like an old callused military veteran while then later having outbursts of emotion
– the alien is shown sometimes too much losing a bit it’s mystery
– the characters you do meet seem very blank. Would have been nice to have heard from them some stories that give them personality in this already well done complex environment
+ it had really memorable scenes and occasional attention to detail that surprises
Conclusions: 2 (on a -5 to 5 scale), a surprisingly well done movie game, paints and complex atmosphere and interesting locations while not going far enough to be trully extraordinary.
Woow. This game might be the unexpected surprise of E3 2014 for me! Others I expected, but I had no idea about this one! First person – cheeck!, not focused on killing but exploration – check (no hordes of enemies! yeayy!), amazing original art direction – check. Plus this retro vision sci fi is a very promising field, as Fallout has showed so awesomely. And it’s even coming out this year. WOW. Can’t wait. I’ve seen some beautiful gameplay footage that showed an amazing mix of today’s high rendering hardware with great stylized graphics.